Friday, August 30, 2013

Round Two

This past summer has been a season of change and new perspective. Slowing down is the familial theme. Life moves fast. I believe we contribute to the movement of our lives. We want to fill up each space with something meaningful to prove we have a purpose, that our existence matters. I guess that’s why I see so many “selfies” on Facebook. “Look at me I matter the pictures seem to scream. Well you do, we all count.
My wife had the unfortunate circumstance of being laid-off from work. When a life event such as this happens, it drastically changes our perspective and forces you to realign our priorities. Everything that formerly seemed important has lost its value. What becomes important now, at least to my wife, is to relish in the opportunity to do something different, something meaningful and my new favorite word, something with purpose.  The last three months I have witnessed the bonding of my wife and daughter. The ease of their conversations flow from one topic to the next while I stand on the sideline waiting to be call into play.  A few years ago my supervisor at work told me that by the time my daughter reaches the age of sixteen, she will slowly but surely gravitate closer toward her mother. At the time his words did not resonate with me, but as I watch my wife and daughter communicate in a language all of their own, his words ring true.
We are ready for round two, ready in the same regard of a Boy Scout ready for camping. My wife has made her list, checked it twice and knows the routine of what to take and not to take. Although no matter how much you pack for your child it never seems like it’s enough. I’ve concluded that it’s because it’s not home and home is where everything is.  I still don’t want her to go, but at least now I know her journey. I know that she is capable and able to complete the task at hand.  I know that she can endure the work, make new friends and continue to find her voice and dare I say put purpose in her life.  Her things are once again strewn about our dining room table and the lump in my throat is still there, that will never go away. But as she marches on into her second year of high school with a full course load, my prayer is that she continues her growth toward creating the woman she wants to become. Good Luck and Godspeed this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment